The whole trend of asymmetrical hemlines has bothered me from the start. Most garments with this treatment just look like the designer ran out of fabric or ideas or is trying really hard to pass off a mistake as, Yeah, I meant to that.
A couple of years ago, I succomed and purchased a mullet t-shirt on ideele.com. The straps and top of the tank were crocheted. The hem was straight in the front and had a lovely curve in the back. When I received it, I was thrilled with the softness of the cotton.
I really should have known better. I rarely wore it, for two reasons. One, I have a swayback that includes a protruding derrière. The back of the shirt was always bunched up on my hips. Two, I didn’t have anything to wear that really complimented it. Lately, I’ve just used it as a swimsuit cover.
And then I got an idea. A maxi dress!
I love it. Oddly enough, it turned out exactly as I saw it in my head. (That is so rare.)
I had to tape two pieces of pattern paper to trace and continue the angle of the skirt to match the shirt. The skirt was quite wide.
I also spent (too much) time making sure that the convex curve of the shirt would sew to the concave curve of the skirt smoothly. The curve was gentle enough that I didn’t even have to clip the concave curve. I just stretched the fabric a bit and pinned the dickens out of it.
I ran stay-stitching around the skirt and shirt for strength before I sewed the two together. I don’t work with knits very often, so I was overly cautious to avoid yucky stretching at the horizontal seam. I opted to sew the seams using a small zigzag stitch on my sewing machine, then finished the seams with my serger.
The final touch was a row of top stitching at the waist seam to hold the seam allowance in place.
The most laborious part of this project was the hem. I don’t have a dress form or a sewing buddy, so I had it on and off more than a dozen times as I cut and serged the hem little by little.
I think its first public appearance will be at a boat party next week.